Tuesday 20 October 2015

Millstones

When reviewing my back catalogue I realised that it had been nine years almost to the day since I had taken morning shots of the millstones below Stanage Edge in the Peak District.

These particular millstones provide one of the Peak Districts iconic views. The combination of the stones lying flat and the angle of the others stood on edge makes these millstones perfect for photography. They also balance well with Over Owler Tor and Millstone Edge in the background with the valley or the path providing a subtle lead through the composition. Light is required to make the whole composition work and first light is probably the best.

So nine years on I decided to revisit the millstones and this was the pick of the morning's shots:



I think the above image has just the right amount of light on and around the stones. The images below were taken a little earlier whilst waiting for the sun to rise a little higher.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment