Thursday 18 February 2016

Falmouth Rock - Photography Week 50 (2015)

The rock formations along the seafront in Falmouth, Cornwall, are a maze of natural art. I have happily spent a number of hours looking at the different colours, the contorted layers and the shapes produced by sea erosion.

I have no geological expertise but I have a rather useful iGeology app which gives description of the  rock formations in the UK and can search to street level if required. As I mentioned in a recent post, photography has a habit of asking many questions and it is hard not to curious about the subjects being photographed. iGeology identifies the rocks in Falmouth as part of the wider Portscatho formation of mud and sandstone formed 374 to 392 million years ago in the Devonian Period.

Finding out about the Falmouth coast has led to more research into Cornish geology which in turn has led to an interest in its mining heritage. Over time I would like to translate this research in a photographic format. I am sure this has been attempted many times before but I will approach this as I do with other photography projects - broad and open ended!

These are some of the results from visits to Gyllyngvase and Castle Sands in Falmouth:
















No comments:

Post a Comment