Friday 19 February 2016

Photography Week 50 (2015)

These are a selection of other images taken during Photography Week 50 (December 2015).

United Downs

In my previous post I mentioned the start of an interest in Cornwall's mining heritage. This is a engine house at United Downs dating from the start of the last century:





Kennack Sands

Kennack Sands is on The Lizard peninsula and its geology makes it an area of special scientific interest. The bedrock is part of the Lizard complex which is an area of ocean crust has been trust above sea level. There is an array of igneous and metamorphic rocks including Kennack gneiss and exposures of red and green serpentine.

I managed a few images in the early part of the day when it was bright and the tide was low. This didn't last for very long and the rain started. Later in the day there was another dry spell but the tide had come in too far to look closely at any of the geological features. I took one shot of what I believe to be red serpentine with intrusions and then a couple of seascapes which worked better in black and white:











Holywell Bay

During the week I visited Holywell Bay on another rain impacted day. Before the rain started I captured an image of Carter's or Gull Rocks from the coastal path. The wind was so strong it was hard to walk so I retreated to the far end of the beach where it was more sheltered. Later in the afternoon I returned when the light was lower and more dramatic (see my previous post on Holywell Bay).
 





No comments:

Post a Comment