Monday 25 April 2016

Godrevy Point - Photography Week 14 (2016)

Despite taking many photographs and posting quite a few on blogs and other photo websites, I am a ruthless editor when it comes to my favoured landscape images. Over the years, I can probably only identify perhaps 30 or 40 from thousands that I particularly like or would call firm favourites.

Identifying a favourite photograph comes rarely at the point of capture - the picture in the mind's eye often doesn't translate into pixels even with the benefit of the camera's live view and LED previews.

Post processing on the computer is a better time for judgement although there is no real objective criteria for deciding a favourite image. If pushed, I would say it is has something to do with a harmony of light, colour, composition, impact and may be a sense of place.

A strong indicator that those elements are in place is when the image makes me reach for the printer paper. When a photograph prints well it gains an extra quality that can't be replicated in a digital format and it is this quality I seek from my photographs.

With that rather long preamble in mind, I gained an image from Godrevy Point that provided that 'must print' feeling. It is one of my favourite images of the year so far:




These are some other compositions taken on the same evening including one showing a colony of seals on the beach below the cliffs. I think this beach is only accessible by sea which makes it ideal for the seals:









No comments:

Post a Comment