Tuesday 3 May 2016

Coastal Path - Photography Week 14 (2016)

Back in February, I set  myself a challenge to photograph a small section of the South West Coastal Path. It was not particularly successful. The weather was poor, the path was muddy and I lacked the necessary inspiration. 

This week I decided to have another go. The initial challenge involved representing about 2 miles of coastline in half dozen images. It was a bit of a photographic test as the stretch from Swanpool to Maenporth has no obvious landmarks. 
At each end of the path are sandy beaches which are popular with winter dog walkers and summer beach goers. Between coves, the path has long stretches of thorn trees and bushes which obscures the sea view. Where it is open there are pleasant views along the coast line:









I wouldn't say that this set necessarily achieves my aim but the last photograph prompted something interesting both historically and photographically. The monument in the picture is a memorial to the Home Guard who patrolled the path during World War II. The inscription says: 
"For Freedom" - this seat and the path leading thereto have been provided as a memorial to the men of Number 1 Falmouth Company of the Home Guard who during 1940,41,42,43,44 after a day's work nightly patrolled this coast armed and vigilant against German landings. Thus they watched 1000 dawns appear across these great waters which form our country's moat. 
These words, and the context it provides, led me back to a photograph from February. With some creative processing I developed a photograph which I believe translates the words into a picture.

I am happy that my goal has been achieved through this photograph rather than six - a learning point I can apply to future challenges.
















No comments:

Post a Comment