Friday 22 July 2016

Kynance Cove - Photography Week 23 (2016)

Being many weeks behind with my image processing often serves as a prompt to revisit some of the photographic venues in different seasonal conditions. Also, I tend to learn more about a location as I research for the blog posts which inspires me to take a fresh or closer look.

My winter shots from Kynance Cove, published on 7th June, where taken at high tide with the sea pounding into the cove. On the cliff side I dodged an number of heavy showers waiting for glimpses of sunlight. I didn't really get any sense of the pretty cove described on tourist websites. Instead it was more about the raw power of nature.

The day after publishing the winter shots, I decided to revisited Kynance Cove. A clear evening was forecast and I wanted to test my impressions in late spring conditions. On reaching the cove I was surprised by how much of the beach was in shadow. This forced me to improvise with compositions from the cliff top looking back towards Asparagus Island and Lizard Point in the distance. Gradually, the shadow area crept up the island until only the tip of Gull Rock had direct light:








On the way back to the car park I stopped to make a long exposure of Kynance Cove which includes from left to right: Bishop Rock, Gull Rock, Asparagus Island and Steeple Rock.



As I came away from Kynance Cove with a slightly different set of images than I had expected, I decided to make a further visit to the cove and planned this for the next day. I had spotted a number of wildflowers which I was interested to look at in better light and I still hadn't managed to get onto the beach at the lowest tide.


No comments:

Post a Comment