Wednesday 12 October 2016

Southwell Minster - Photography Week 32 (2016)

Over the last couple of years, I have made a point of walking as many of the local footpaths as possible. Most are well maintained with an occasional overgrown stretch or dead-end. The purpose of the walks, apart from keeping healthy, is seeing the landscape from a different perspective and trying to find a hidden or unexpected view.

One such find is a fleeting view of Southwell Minster from farm land above Kirklington. I guess the Minster is about 3 miles away as the crow flies and I needed a 400mm lens and a crop to present the scene. The original image is a little hazy but software these days is adept at enhancing clarity and colour. I think it is worth compromising slightly on quality to see the beauty of this building in the landscape, particularly in the late afternoon sunlight:



The above image was actually taken in late September (photography week 39) but it came to mind when I reviewed some images of the minster taken in August (week 32).

I had about 20 minutes to wait for family in Southwell so I decided to potter the camera, taking the obvious postcard view of the minster, and then some of the detailed stonework - it is such a fine building:




















No comments:

Post a Comment