Saturday 3 December 2016

Best of the Rest - Photography Week 39 (2016)

These are a selection of images taken during photography week 39 which have not been included in previous posts:


Gunthorpe Weir

During photography week 36 I visited Cromwell Lock and weir on the River Trent. This week I was interested in the weir further up the Trent at Gunthorpe and judging from maps, and other photographs online, it looked like there was an unobstructed view from the East Bridgford side of the river.

Sure enough, the view was good and I tried several different shutter speeds to capture the movement of the water. The longer shutter speeds suffered a little softness from a very fine spray settling on the lens filter:



The bank and footpath on this on this side of the river is lined by a steep sedimentary rock face which includes a mineral layer. A search on iGeology identifies the bedrock in this area Gunthorpe Member mudstone formed 229 to 245 million years ago during the Triassic Period. The mineral layer is likely to be gypsum which is widely used in fertilisers and in wall plaster:


Stormy Nottingham

Whilst out in the city centre I was caught out by a thunder storm and very heavy rain. Taking cover under one of the canal bridges, I took a few abstract shots including railings reflected in the water:









The rain didn't really ease during the afternoon so eventually I had to make my way back through the city. There were lots of people rushing under umbrellas and I wanted one photograph that represented the conditions. After several attempts I settled on an abstract camera movement method (which was not easy with a compact camera as many of the features are designed to avoid blurred photographs!):




No comments:

Post a Comment