Tuesday 14 March 2017

Higger Tor, One Year Later - Photography Week 8 (2017)

In February 2016, I took a series of images on Higger Tor. The primary subject was a group of rocks overlooking Carl Wark Fort known as the 'Kit-Kat' rocks. These are three rectangular blocks of gritstone resting against each other which, I guess, look like fingers or bars of the well known chocolate wafer biscuit. To be honest, some of these names tend to pass me by!

I did not post the 2016 results at the time, mainly because I was way behind in my processes, but also due to the angle of the light on the Kit-Kat rocks. Whilst it was a lovely evening, I felt that the main subject was lost in the shadows and I was thinking that morning light was the better option for these particular rocks.

One year later, and more by coincidence than design, I was on Higger Tor for first light. I remembered my previous visit and decided to test out the Kit-Kat rocks composition just as the sun rose over Burbage Moor. This turned out to be a good decision and I think the dawn light composition is far better than last year's effort.

February 2017 at dawn:


February 2016 at sunset:


To complete the 2017 visit, I took a number of other shots on Higger Tor. At times the light was quite intense before cloud eventually obscured the sun. The last shot of the morning was sunlight breaking in patches through the Hope Valley highlighting the cement factory and Mam Tor in the distance:








No comments:

Post a Comment